Three Australians are among dozens injured after a van was driven into tourist crowds in Barcelona’s popular Las Ramblas area on Thursday.
Foreign minister Julie Bishop said a woman, believed to be from New South Wales, was in a serious but stable condition in hospital, while two other young men from Victoria were also affected, but told Australian consular staff that they were going back to their accommodation and will seek medical treatment in the morning.
* "I think it's following me. You kind of come over here (to Europe) and you expect it to happen, but you don't let it stop you from doing what you want to do." - Melbourne tourist Michael Christou, who was also nearby during the London Bridge attack in June, in which eight people were killed including two Australians.
* "There was this tidal wave of people running ... screaming, crying and with absolute terror etched on their faces." - Australian cyber safety expert Susan McLean, who told the Nine Network she was just 100m from the scene.
* "All of a sudden we were locked in the shop and confusion started to sprinkle among the people. The next second... we were literally running for our lives to the very back of the store, where we were told to get on the ground away from the windows and lay as flat as possible." - Melbourne woman Julia Monaco, who told 3AW it was the third time she had been caught up in a European terror attack in three months.
* "There was at least five bodies that I saw, at least three of them are still there now with body bags, so you'd imagine they've passed." - Australian witness Gil Van Der Venne talking to 3AW.
* "We turned and ran, unfortunately, my wife got caught up and was pushed over and suffered some minor injuries. We were ushered into a local cafe where we were held up there for about four-and-a-half hours." - Australian tourist Adam James.
* "There are thousands of people, families with kids, people of all ages in the streets - similar to Bourke Street Mall around Christmas time or perhaps Martin Place in Sydney." - Melbourne fire brigades commander Graeme O'Sullivan, speaking to Nine.
* The Australian Government and the Australian people condemn ... the Islamist terrorist attack in Barcelona overnight. Our love, our prayers, are with the victims and their families." Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
* "The Australian Government and the Australian people condemn the terrorist attack, the Islamist terrorist attack, the Islamist terrorist attack in Barcelona overnight. Our love, our prayers, are with the victims and their families." - Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.
* "Devastating news from Barcelona. All Australians condemn terrorism, all of us hold the people of Spain in our heart today," Opposition leader Bill Shorten on Twitter.