Evelyn Zaragoza

Evelyn Zaragoza

Monday, 27 November 2017 13:32

CRACKDOWN ON BADLY BEHAVED COUNCILLORS

The NSW Government has proposed tough new Code of Conduct requirements for local NSW councils.

Local Government Minister Gabrielle Upton said the updated Model Code of Conduct for Councils in NSW – which would apply to 1,500 councillors and almost 50,000 council staff across NSW – was now on public exhibition for comment.

“While most councillors do the right thing for a small minority it is all about them instead of what is in the community’s best interests. We are determined to weed out councillors misusing their public office,” Ms Upton said.

“Breaches of the new Code of Conduct by councillors can result in suspension and even disqualification from office and these new proposed requirements will put an even greater onus on councillors to behave appropriately or face the consequences if they don’t serve their ratepayers.”

The new Model Code of Conduct proposes a range of new rules for all councillors and staff, including:

• Banning accepting gifts or benefits greater than $50 and introducing mandatory reporting of all gifts or benefits regardless of value;
• Disclosing records of meetings and other communications with applicants and objectors to planning applications;
• Banning access to council information when councillors have a pecuniary or a significant non-pecuniary conflict of interest;
• Requiring the declaration of new interests by councillors and staff more regularly in official returns of interest;
• Declaring being a property developer or a close associate of a property developer more regularly in official returns of interest;
• Publishing information in councillor and general manager official returns of interest on council’s website;
• Tough new standards against bullying, discrimination and harassment, work health and safety, on behaviour at meetings and use of social media;
• Clarifying that councillors must not use council information for personal purposes or undertake personal dealings with council during work time.

The draft Model Code of Conduct is on public exhibition for six weeks.

Saturday, 23 September 2017 10:42

YOU ARE INVITED

Saturday, 23 September 2017 10:39

PREPARE FOR EMERGENCY

For many of us it’s unthinkable. Until it happens, and then it’s too late.

We all face emergencies: as large as a bushfire or as personal as a medical crisis. They can all be devastating, as so many people found out last year in the flooding across much of northern NSW in the aftermath of severe Cyclone Debbie.

In Emergency Preparedness Week (17-24 September 2017), Red Cross is asking you to take one easy action to make your next emergency less stressful.

These are simple and practical steps you can take to protect the people you love, your own wellbeing and the things you value most.

Easy things to help you prepare include:

  • think about being in an emergency situation and how you might react. This will help you stay calmer and respond better when an emergency happens.
  • find out where to get important disaster information, like your local radio emergency broadcaster. This means you’re better informed when an emergency happens.
  • get to know your neighbours. They’re the people who might support you and look out for you when an emergency happens.

For more easy things to do, get your Red Cross RediPlan at redcross.org.au/prepare.

Wednesday, 13 September 2017 23:37

PAID SURVEY INVITATION

Sponsored

 

The Philippine national street dance team is coming to Sydney, Australia to try and capture Hip Hop gold at the 14th Annual World Supremacy Battlegrounds Dance Championship.

Over four hundred Filipino street dancers plus support staff and family are expected to make their way to Bankstown Sports Club on October 5-8 to compete against some of the best teams from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, USA, Malaysia, Singapore, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea.

Last year, sixteen Filipino crews made the grand finals. FMD Xtreme from Marikina City bagged the only gold for the Philippines, the Open Division title, the most prestigious division in WSB.

An estimated 1,500 dancers will be fighting it out across sixteen age divisions during the four-day international meet. Superstar celebrities judging or performing at WSB include Buddha Stretch (Michael Jackson and Will Smith music video choreographer), Henry Link (Elite Force USA), Lil Pat (Philippine Allstars), Parris Goebel (Jennifer Lopez, Justin Beiber choreographer) and Royal Family of New Zealand.

Filipinos across the globe will get a chance to watch their national team online. World Supremacy Battlegrounds will be live-streamed again via Facebook. Over a million viewers were reached during the online coverage, a record-breaking achievement for organisers MAS Presents.

Tickets to come and support the Philippine national team are now on sale via www.trybooking.com. For more information, visit the official website www.worldsupremacybattlegrounds.com.

Monday, 30 November -0001 00:00

MRS VISAYAS-AUSTRALIA 2017 AND MORE

Best in Evening Gown, Best in Filipiniana, Best in Talent, and Mrs Congeniality - No. 6 Annie Marquez, won these 4 titles but also the coveted titles of Mrs Visayas-Australia 2017 and the Mrs Charity Queen
2017.

Archive